Friday 9 September 2016

2016-09-08 - We all Arrive.

The First Day!

I arrived around 2:00 after a brutal drive through Seattle area.  I had left early to make sure I would avoid the Vancouver and Boarder traffic, but ended up in Seattle during rush hour.  It took me almost two hours to drive the 30km through the area - turning my 6-hour drive into an 8-hour drive.

I found Big Jim and Al at the Family Beach Park, west of the event site.  Thay had been sailing for a few hours, and were now sitting in their lawn chairs enjoying the sun.  It was a beautiful afternoon, but the wind was on the light side and gusty.  The call was for big sails and big boards.  Al said that if I rigged and went out, that he would go out again...  well, I rigged and went out, but he was apparently done for the day.

Al and Big Jim

Ted on his 6.6 and Shark
The wind seemed to steady out later in the day.  Jim and I had fun blasting back and forth among all the guys out on their foils (both windsurfers and kiters).

Cam said he had a great day at the marina, kiting.  He had a couple of near kitemares, but also had a good session.

Most of the rest of the guys got to Roosevelt and stayed.  They got out on sails in the five meter ranges.

Handre is here, but hasn't recovered enough from his back surgery, so he says he won't be windsurfing, although he did bring his helmet and life jacket.  Maybe a kite lesson is in the "wind". Otherwise, he will be around for moral support and enjoying the weather.  I believe he did bring his bike.

There was a bit of a scramble in the evening as everyone tried to find a room in one of the condo's, but eventually everyone got settled.  Eddy drew the short straw and ended up on a couch.  It looks like there will be 13 of us once Ross get's here on Saturday.

Great first day.


2 comments:

  1. How long have you had "Shark"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have had it for about two years.... It is my big board - 135 Litres

      Delete